Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Taking a Spill on my Bike

Last weekend was long and it felt as if my birthday was stretched out for much longer than it should (Saturday to Tuesday), but I appreciate everything, it was great and I'm happy. I got some tools to help with the acoustic guitar I am building, and a bunch of money to pay off some bills and to save towards the new guitar I'm planning on getting, aswell as a bunch of other great things (awesome T-shirt from www.qwantz.com). I'm still unemployed and confused. Last Friday I received a call about an immediate opening for a co-op job, I thought it sounded great so I sent my information, but I still haven't heard anything! For an immediate opening this doesn't make sense.

Anyways ... I want to talk about some older movies that I've watched:

Last Friday I watched some classic movie on the CBC (I forget the name), and really enjoyed the dialogue between the main character's (male and female). This type of dialogue, I find, shows up in a lot of the classics. The male character is always joking and can be very critical of everything, in his joking way. The best part of it is how the female character takes it, she understands his style and will just kinda laugh or will play off it. Now the BEST best part of it is how this style can lead to some amazing puns! Puns happening so quickly that if you are not careful you will miss. ... there is a problem with this type of dialogue too though. The main character can come off as a cynical asshole, even though he's not really trying too, especially judged on conversation today. I was watching this movie with my sister and although I was laughing I think she thought he was a bit of a jerk. I've been watching lots of these classic movies and I think they are really interesting, if you see a classic on T.V. watch it for a few minutes before deciding on something else. ... But anyways, I feel that lots of time I will talk like the male characters and probably can come off as an ass, I'm not trying to be ... sorry square.

I went to see M. Ward Monday night. It was great! He played for a hour of his more energetic full band electric guitar-ish music, which was amazing live. Then he came out for an encore and played another 30min of his solo acoustic guitar music, which is what I came to see, so I was satisfied. Then he played a second encore with a fantastic song to close on. All-in-all great show. I had a decent view of the stage and was able to watch his right hand enough to see what he was up to. A great advantage to seeing such amazing guitar players like M. Ward and Leo Kottke live is being able to take away some information about different playing styles, which I have and that I believe help me in developing my style.

... Finally on this rainy day in September, I'm listening to Bryter Layter by Nick Drake and it's very fitting. If you have time, read a short biography of him on Wikipedia, its really fascinating and a bit depressing.

8 Comments:

Blogger EricaRW said...

apology accepted.

i'm quite cynical too though.. we are both in male roles?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Simon Stewart said...

The females are cynical too, but less likely to make a pun out of it, or use enormous amounts of sarcasm. There cynical-ness is based on actual dislike, not just trying to be funny.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's funny that you liked those characters and their witty banter. I find it repulsive the way the women always have to be the tolerant ones. It is almost never reciprocated. Boys are needy.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Simon Stewart said...

It's true. Boys are the worst.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wish that boys were better able to frame a situation, and look at it objectively rather than boiling everything down to being about them, and somehow a criticism, judgement or reflection on them. sometimes girls are sad or catty or mean and just want someone to see through it know they aren't awful.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Simon Stewart said...

Boys like that suck, and there are a bunch of them out there, but there are boys not like that too.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really hope youre not saying you don't do that.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Simon Stewart said...

As fun as this is... I'm not the best at not doing that, but for the most part I don't think I do.

... moving on?

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home